Oh my gosh, tomorrow the convention starts! So much to do, so little time. At least I have my cosplay as Chihiro from Spirited Away complete! 😀 Here it is!
Yes, fleece leggings. It’s gotten so cold here in Michigan that I couldn’t even bring myself to consider wearing shorts without something else underneath. Don’t worry, it still works with the outfit!
They are awesome! 🙂
My kind and generous sister gave me a pair. She apparently remembered how sad I was when my last pair finally broke a few years ago. Others are being sold in Artist’s Alley!
Of course I have to have some reason to explain my morning, zombie-like expression! The brain slug on the left was given to me two years ago. The pink brain slug on the right was a birthday present this year. Both were made by different people!
This is the last accessory for my cosplay, not that Chihiro wore earrings. They’re just so cute. I know it sounds silly, but these little buddies were actually the reason why I got my ears pierced! 🙂 If you like, you could get a pair, too, and a lot of other things if you go to Pocket Sushi’s Etsy shop.
Well, that concludes my cosplay series. Hope you enjoyed it!
Next up, Youmacon!
If you missed anything, get the lowdown here:
Complete Convention Cosplay
Eee! Only two more days till Youmacon! I am happy to say that I have completed my cosplay outfit. Here are the progress photos of painting my black shoes YELLOW:
Second Hand Black Running Shoes, acrylic paint, an old paint brush and water.
Behold the fruit of my labor!
The paint seems to hold up well. It took about 10 coats of paint to get it like this. Lots of time, lots of patience. Just in time for Youmacon 2013!
That’s all folks!
If you’ve been following along, you know that I will be attending an anime convention called Youmacon, in which I will be cosplaying as Chihiro from Spirited Away. I already have made Chihiro’s green striped shirt, and now here’s the progress photos of making her pink shorts:
I decided to use Simplicity pattern 2721 to make my shorts. All I needed to do was modify the lounge pant pattern.
I did that by shortening the pattern and cutting the pieces out. After I basted the pieces, I tried it on and made a few alterations.
After hemming, I sewed the crotch seam.
I’ve found that the front and back of shorts and pants are very hard to differentiate when they are unmarked. Thus, I made a simple tag, just so I now which way to put them on. (So sad, I know).
This is industrial elastic that I cut to 3/4″ width. Warning: Do not try this with regular store-bought elastic. It won’t work. You’ve been warned, bwa-ha-ha! 😀
Last thing to do, the elastic casing!
Done! I’m still waiting to finish the last piece for my cosplay: Painting the shoes yellow. (Almost like painting the roses red, LOL). 🙂 Time’s running out; the convention’s this week!!!
Until next time,
Youmacon Convention Cosplay Part 2: Shorts
I just wanted to share today a picture of a water color pencil painting that I finished recently:
It’s so simplistic, but it took a really long time just to get the pigment on the paper. Part of it was choosing where to place the colors, another was switching pencils constantly. If you notice, I added a darker color opposite the light to add dimension. When I was painting with water, I had to be careful not to mix the light with the dark too much.
I really wanted my painting to be cheerful, and I have succeeded; I feel happy every time I look at it! :3
A couple years ago I made a pillow from a kit for a 16″x16″ Mexican Star pillow. I really like this design; it reminds me of a symmetrical explosion. 😉 The brown materials used in this makes the pillow perfect for fall. In case you would like to make your own, I found this quilting site that has a free pattern with instructions as a PDF for the same Mexican Star design. Here’s mine:
There you have it! It’s really more like a slip cover. Before the back was put on it, the finished front was put on top of poly-batting and a white fabric of the same size. Then I did some hand quilting on it. After that, the back was put on. Lastly, I inserted a pillow-form. ~Done! 🙂
Recently I have been pressing, cutting, and organizing my quilt scraps. While I was sorting, I came across a pile of 1 1/2″ squares that I had cut out the last time I attempted to get a handle on my stuff. (It didn’t work, BTW). 🙂 And so I decided to make up some 9-patches with them. Here are some pics:
I have no idea what I’m going to do with them, of course, but I suppose they’ll just sit with all the rest of the random, pieced quilt blocks that I’ve experimented with in the past. 🙂
That’s all for now!