Hello Kitty Pillow: A Project At Last!

Wow, it has been so long since my last post! Time has gone by so fast and so slowly it seems. I finally finished the spring quarter at college a couple weeks ago and today I began the summer quarter– yes, school continues through the summer. I am happy to announce that my short break resulted in one finished project!

Let me introduce you to my latest project:

Hello Kitty Pillow

Hello Kitty Pillow

Continue reading

A Challenging Fitting Session

This is an update on my “wedding” dress progress. I’ve had nearly two weeks to make my dress for my cousin’s wedding and I am still at square one and making muslins.

I made the first muslin of the bodice in a size 12 and expected minimal fitting adjustments. After finishing it I put it on and had my sister pin the back together — and it seemed nearly perfect! I only needed to put some more curves into my front seams. THEN I tried to move my arms. Dun dun dun… It was so restrictive that my arms could only be lifted up to my shoulders.

Bodice Muslin

Bodice Muslin Size 12

Continue reading

A Charity Project: Completed!

Back in August, I discovered an ongoing charity project online. People were making feminine cloth pads for school girls in Haiti, which allows the girls to stay in school longer every year. The project came out of Gateway Church in Findlay, Ohio from the Sew*Quilt*Share group. The pads they receive are divided into sets of ten and made into kits with other necessities and are taken to Haiti through Mission Possible every February.

Feminine Pads

I looked at the tutorial on the Sew in Peace website. It really touched me, and I wanted to be a part of it and make a difference on a bigger scale. I brought it before my American Sewing Guild group, got the funding, bought the supplies, and had the volunteers to cut out and make these pads. The finished pads were turned in to me by the December meeting, totaling 167 pads!

167 Pads!

167 Pads!

I finally wrapped up this project earlier this month and shipped the pads out two weeks ago with a letter. The day after it arrived in Ohio I received a surprise: an email with a picture of some Sew*Quilt*Share members opening up the package!

If you are interested in participating in this project, the tutorial and information can be found on http://sewinpeace.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading!

~Christina

“Sherbet Zebra” Dress

Okay, this is a dress that I want to make. I think that its design is very interesting, and I’d like to make the one with sleeves.

The fabric I have actually is called ‘Sherbet Zebra,’ according to its label. It came from New York and it’s a linen. I LOVE the print, and something nice about this linen is that it isn’t a very wrinkly one. In total I have either four or five yards to work with. I would like to have a different fabric for the sleeves/upper dress, so I’ll be on the look-out.

I hope to have this made by next spring! It will be difficult to find time to sew with my new school schedule this fall, and before then I have tons of quilt projects I want to finish. 🙂

Until next time,

Christina