This is an update on my “wedding” dress progress. I’ve had nearly two weeks to make my dress for my cousin’s wedding and I am still at square one and making muslins.
I made the first muslin of the bodice in a size 12 and expected minimal fitting adjustments. After finishing it I put it on and had my sister pin the back together — and it seemed nearly perfect! I only needed to put some more curves into my front seams. THEN I tried to move my arms. Dun dun dun… It was so restrictive that my arms could only be lifted up to my shoulders.
Bodice Muslin Size 12
If you’ve been following my posts this past week, here’s an update on the dresses I’ve been making: It was either Monday or Tuesday that I finished the bridesmaid dress, and then I worked like the wind to get my fashion show dress done.
Because of poor timing, I didn’t get to see my client in her bridesmaid dress; however, I should see her soon.
For my gingham dress, It took me two days to make the bodice muslin fitted properly and a day to make the actual one. Yesterday I cut out the skirt in the outer fabric and lining; I gathered, with both, a total of 40 feet of material to my 27 inch waist. 🙂 After 10 hours of working, I went to bed at 2 a.m. At 7, I sprang from my bed, very determined, and went back to work! I finally finished my dress only an hour before leaving to the event. 😀 It’s crazy, I know. It’s done it’s done it’s done! In the next few weeks I’ll post the progress photos of this dress.
Now it’s time to move on to different things!
Yes! It is true, I am almost done with the bridesmaid dress! On Saturday, I finished the seam with the zipper, tacked the neckline, and took in the other side seam, all in two hours. 🙂
Now all that I have to do is hem the bottom! I don’t need my “client” to try it on again because she likes the length of the skirt. My friend kindly dropped off her machine so that I could use it to hem. She has a hemming foot for her machine and I don’t; it should be semi-easy now to finish it. I will need to get pictures before the dress forever leaves me!
All I can say is wow. I’ve put so much time and effort into this dress and I’ve learned so much. I’m really glad that I’m almost done. This is a great accomplishment and I now have the confidence to take on similar, preferably simpler, jobs.
Thanks for reading!
Okay, here is the bridesmaid dress now!
I finished attaching the cummerbund and the skirt. The skirt, by the way, took almost an hour just to gather, plus it really gave my hands a workout!
The dress looks really nice on the woman I’m making it for. 🙂 I had the fitting, so now I need to take in the side seams a bit to accentuate her waist; fortunately, the invisible zipper has now been installed. After the side seams, I need to tack the bodice drapes to make the neckline, then all I’ll have left is hemming the skirt. 😀 😀 😀
The wedding is next weekend! I’ll be working on it this Easter weekend; no matter what, I can’t let the celebration distract me… really!…Hmm… Well, I’ll try to get most of it done this weekend, anyway. 😉
Here’s a link to my last post!
I’ve mentioned at least once that I have been working on a bridesmaid dress. Here is the bodice:
Bridesmaid Dress Bodice
The pattern is McCall’s M6466. There is so much gathering required for this dress!
The bodice had to be fitted a lot; the woman I am making the dress for is 6′ 1″, so the bodice pattern needed to be altered. I didn’t even know how the bodice went together until I made a muslin. I found that the pattern is self-facing, which is not alteration friendly. It was a headache to work with, and unless you’re really determined, I wouldn’t suggest lengthening or widening it.
That aside, now that the alterations are completed, everything else has been going smoothly. The bodice has a gathered cummerbund; I spent the last two days making it. I’m almost ready to attach it! I can see three more fittings in the near future. One for the cummerbund (once I attach it), a second for the side zipper, and one last one for the length of the skirt.
The skirt is going to be a pain to work with; I’ve already serged the panels together and I will say this: There is at least 9 yards of fabric in that skirt, and I have to gather it to the bodice. I’m talking about a poly-cotton, not tulle like the pattern suggests… So that should be interesting.
I need to get this done by next week so I can work on my fashion show dress. So much to do, so little time!
Thanks for reading,
For the fast approaching ASG Chapter fashion show (at the end of April), I’m making a simple summer dress that I hope to embellish. So far I’ve cut out the pieces. I’m only using the bodice of the pattern’s dress; the skirt will be gathered.
Pattern: Simplicity 8165
The pattern for the bodice is Simplicity 8165. The red gingham is a very thin cotton from New York, and the lining is 100% white cotton.
Dress Picture Close-Up
The dress will be sleeveless, and it will have these flattering diagonal darts on the bodice (above). I will probably be adding ties for a bow in the back as the pattern has.
Built into the bodice is six inches of ease for the waist, making it 33″ (my waist is 27″); I will have to take in the side seams quite a bit. (I am a bit picky when it comes to my waist).
I tried on the pattern, and to my dismay the waist of the bodice is a few inches below my own (shown above).
Right now I can’t work on this dress because I am currently sewing a bridesmaid dress; it is taking up most of my time. After I am done with that, then I will be free to rush my fashion show dress along. The alterations won’t be that difficult, and the fanciness of any embellishments I add will just depend on the time I have left.
Hopefully, within the next few weeks, I will have an update on this project. If not, UH OH! 😉
Thanks for reading!