Happy first day of spring, everyone! Yesterday was my last day of school, so now I have two weeks off! I am going to be spending this time sewing a dress for myself so I have something to wear at a wedding next month. 🙂
As you may know, I made a quilt for my grandma back in September as an early Christmas present. This year, I was making a quilt for my other grandma, and two days ago I finally finished it!
I’ve been making great progress on the quilt; in fact, I’m almost done! Here are some close-ups of the panels.
Remember back in November when I made 24, 3 1/2″ 9-patch blocks? Well, I was searching for my UFOs, which I only have five of, and I came across those blocks and remembered that they would count as a UFO! (An old, unfinished project).
3-inch 9-patch blocks
I was so excited that I got to work on making more of them right away! I used up all the little 1 1/2″ squares that I had cut out, and in about two hours I had 19 more 9-patch blocks sewn. 🙂
There are now 43 blocks. I know that when I sew them into a quilt top that they will be framed with either black or white. I also know that I don’t have enough blocks to do what I want, which is to make a couch throw out of them. So I have to set the blocks aside awhile again until I cut more squares out; however, they will become a quilt this year yet!
Until next time,
A few years back, my sister received a small hexagon quilting kit. It included instructions, paper templates and small squares of fabric. Being solely a seamstress, she never touched it and finally gave it to me. Two hours later I finished it, but I didn’t know what to do with it. I definitely didn’t want to make more hexagon flowers; it took too long! Consequently, it sat around for a long while. About a week and a half ago, I rediscovered it and had a brilliant idea: Make it into a coaster!
Here it is:
Hexagon Flower Coaster
Edge Close Up
On the back I used a dark green wool felt and for the blanket stitching I used red cotton floss. It really is something nice to have around! Also, it’s a UFO (basically an old, unfinished project) so I can enter a drawing at my sewing group! 🙂
Thanks for reading,
All righty! Here it is:
Border Corner Close Up
I think it turned out great! Perfect for a child. I made each section of the border separately. It took longer doing it that way but I didn’t have to spend a single penny. I made it entirely out of scraps! In total it took me five hours, start to finish. 🙂
I’m excited about the next and last quilt! I wonder what I’ll do…
‘Til next time,
Sorry! I really meant to post about this last month! Anyway, this is the next center block I received for the round robin for February-March.
Center Block #3
The note on it says that the quilt is for a child, so to use child-friendly prints. Hmm… I think I have a few of those in my stash! I’m thinking of doing some simple piecing that will spice up the look of this quilt. So far, all the borders are quite boring in my opinion. He he! 😉
Let’s wait and see what I come up with!
Yatta! It is finished! 😀
Finished Inlaid Strip Border
I took a day off from everything to get this done. It took me a total of 6 hours, start to finish.
Border Close Up #1
I am so happy with how it turned out. It’s definitely a creative-step-up from my first border. 🙂
Border Close Up #2
*Sigh* I wish I would make a quilt using this technique for myself!
Border Close Up #3
While I was taking pictures, I heard a familiar bird call and looked up. A woodpecker! (Center of picture). They move so fast, this is the first picture I’ve ever taken of one! 🙂
Anyhoo, thanks for reading!
Here’s a link to my first round robin border.