Hello Kitty Pillow: A Project At Last!

Wow, it has been so long since my last post! Time has gone by so fast and so slowly it seems. I finally finished the spring quarter at college a couple weeks ago and today I began the summer quarter– yes, school continues through the summer. I am happy to announce that my short break resulted in one finished project!

Let me introduce you to my latest project:

Hello Kitty Pillow

Hello Kitty Pillow

Continue reading

A Charity Project: Completed!

Back in August, I discovered an ongoing charity project online. People were making feminine cloth pads for school girls in Haiti, which allows the girls to stay in school longer every year. The project came out of Gateway Church in Findlay, Ohio from the Sew*Quilt*Share group. The pads they receive are divided into sets of ten and made into kits with other necessities and are taken to Haiti through Mission Possible every February.

Feminine Pads

I looked at the tutorial on the Sew in Peace website. It really touched me, and I wanted to be a part of it and make a difference on a bigger scale. I brought it before my American Sewing Guild group, got the funding, bought the supplies, and had the volunteers to cut out and make these pads. The finished pads were turned in to me by the December meeting, totaling 167 pads!

167 Pads!

167 Pads!

I finally wrapped up this project earlier this month and shipped the pads out two weeks ago with a letter. The day after it arrived in Ohio I received a surprise: an email with a picture of some Sew*Quilt*Share members opening up the package!

If you are interested in participating in this project, the tutorial and information can be found on http://sewinpeace.blogspot.com/

Thanks for reading!

~Christina

Zakka Pin Cushion

A few years ago my sister started following along with blogs and making zakka accessories, that is, small, useful items using natural materials. She came across this tutorial from the Etsy Blog for a zakka pincushion, and she passed the knowledge down to me. This is a very easy project, and I really like the result. Here is mine:

Zakka Pincushion

July '14 178

Pincushion Back

Once again, these are very easy to make and are great as gifts for your sewing buddies. For the plastic liner, I used a milk jug, and instead of wool felt, I used cotton batting. If you decide to make one, let me know!

Thanks for reading,

~Christina

Almost Done!

Yes! It is true, I am almost done with the bridesmaid dress! On Saturday, I finished the seam with the zipper, tacked the neckline, and took in the other side seam, all in two hours. 🙂

Bridesmaid Dress

Bridesmaid Dress

Tacked Neckline

Tacked Neckline

Now all that I have to do is hem the bottom! I don’t need my “client” to try it on again because she likes the length of the skirt. My friend kindly dropped off her machine so that I could use it to hem. She has a hemming foot for her machine and I don’t; it should be semi-easy now to finish it. I will need to get pictures before the dress forever leaves me!

Invisible Zipper

Invisible Zipper

All I can say is wow. I’ve put so much time and effort into this dress and I’ve learned so much. I’m really glad that I’m almost done. This is a great accomplishment and I now have the confidence to take on similar, preferably simpler, jobs.

Thanks for reading!

~Christina

Working on It…

Okay, here is the bridesmaid dress now!

Bridesmaid Dress

Bridesmaid Dress

I finished attaching the cummerbund and the skirt. The skirt, by the way, took almost an hour just to gather, plus it really gave my hands a workout!

Bodice Close-Up

Bodice Close-Up

The dress looks really nice on the woman I’m making it for. 🙂 I had the fitting, so now I need to take in the side seams a bit to accentuate her waist; fortunately, the invisible zipper has now been installed. After the side seams, I need to tack the bodice drapes to make the neckline, then all I’ll have left is hemming the skirt. 😀 😀 😀

The wedding is next weekend! I’ll be working on it this Easter weekend; no matter what, I can’t let the celebration distract me… really!…Hmm… Well, I’ll try to get most of it done this weekend, anyway. 😉

Here’s a link to my last post!

~Christina

Bridesmaid Dress

I’ve mentioned at least once that I have been working on a bridesmaid dress. Here is the bodice:

Bridesmaid Dress Bodice

Bridesmaid Dress Bodice

The pattern is McCall’s M6466. There is so much gathering required for this dress!

The bodice had to be fitted a lot; the woman I am making the dress for is 6′ 1″, so the bodice pattern needed to be altered.  I didn’t even know how the bodice went together until I made a muslin. I found that the pattern is self-facing, which is not alteration friendly. It was a headache to work with, and unless you’re really determined, I wouldn’t suggest lengthening or widening it.

That aside, now that the alterations are completed, everything else has been going smoothly. The bodice has a gathered cummerbund; I spent the last two days making it. I’m almost ready to attach it! I can see three more fittings in the near future. One for the cummerbund (once I attach it), a second for the side zipper, and one last one for the length of the skirt.

The skirt is going to be a pain to work with; I’ve already serged the panels together and I will say this: There is at least 9 yards of fabric in that skirt, and I have to gather it to the bodice. I’m talking about a poly-cotton, not tulle like the pattern suggests… So that should be interesting.

I need to get this done by next week so I can work on my fashion show dress. So much to do, so little time!

Thanks for reading,

~Christina